A Dungannon pensioner has had his car destroyed in an arson attack less than two months after a pipe bomb was left in the front seat of his old car.
The man's second vehicle, which replaced a car that was taken as part of an investigation into a pipe bomb attack in January, was gutted after being set alight in the Fairmount Park area of Dungannon on Wednesday night (March 15).
The PSNI said it received a report that a car parked in the area had been set on fire before 11.30pm. Police and NIFRS attended and the fire was extinguished.
The previous attack, which took place on January 18, sparked a security alert which led to a number of streets being cordoned off and some residents being evacuated from their homes.
The pipe bomb device, which was placed in the front seat of his car after the window had been smashed, was later said to be 'viable'.
ATO were called to the scene and the area cordoned off for much of the day.
At the time, PSNI Inspector Robert McGowan said: "I would like to thank residents and the local business community for their patience during this operation.
"I would also appeal to anyone who knows anything about this incident, or anyone who may have noticed any suspicious activity in the area, to contact police on the non-emergency number 101."
Mid Ulster SDLP Councillor Denise Mullen has condemned both attacks.
While police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the arson attack or anyone who has any information that can assist with the investigation to contact officers in Dungannon on 101 quoting reference number 1373 of 15/03/17.
Information can also be given anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Read more at: http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/news/dungannon-security-alert-mullen-condemns-pipe-bomb-attack-on-man-s-car-1-7779731