Advice to protect your bicycle
CONSTABLE Paul Wilson the Crime Prevention officer for Dungannon, Cookstown and South Tyrone has issued the following advice to help protect your bicycle:
• When buying a bike, budget for security.
• Take out insurance, either by extending your home contents insurance or through a separate policy. Cycling organisations and bike shops may offer specialist cover. Do this at the time of purchasing the bike, otherwise you may not get around to it.
• Record details of your bike.
– Record your bicycle model, make and frame number. This assists the police in returning recovered bikes to their rightful owners. – Take a clear, colour photograph of your bike and make a written record of its description, including any unique features, so that you can report it accurately if stolen.
• Security mark the bicycle. A number of proprietary marking and tagging systems are available. To be effective a security marking must:
– be clearly visible – advertise that the bike is security marked or tagged. For example, attaching a clearly visible label is a simple option.
– be secure – for example, by using a tamper-resistant label, etching, etc, or an inaccessible electronic device.
– be placed in at least two separate locations, preferably on or in the frame. At least one of these locations should not be clearly visible.
– give clear information via the visible mark (label, etching, etc) that will quickly allow police to identify the method of security marking or tagging (and where applicable the registration company), and through this identify the owner. Crime Prevention Officers or security marking companies can advise if you are not sure what information to include.
• secure your bike in a locked shed or garage and consider using a strong chain with a padlock alarm which can be obtained locally - if in any doubt contact your local Crime Prevention officer on 0845 600 8000
- Man arrested at Dungannon cannabis factory denied bail
- Ardboe woman’s life-changing experience as Secret Millionaire
- Dungannon firm win big French business contract
- Moe’s Cookstown finalists in ‘Bar of the Year’ awards
- Frank’s African odyssey nears the end of the line after close encounter with a lion
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Dungannon
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North