Missing Pomeroy man turns up in court

editorial image

A Pomeroy man granted bail to reside in a Sisters of Mercy convent was officially regarded as a missing person after he was reported to have failed to return to his designated address.

Anthony Shortt (26) from Trainors Terrace, Pomeroy but released to reside at the convent in Armagh is currently facing seven charges related to a domestic incident on August 16.

These include assaulting a female relative and causing criminal damage to her refrigerator, drinking glasses, a stair gate and a door.

Bail was agreed earlier this month with strict terms including a curfew and residing only at the convent. However Shortt failed to return to his designated address and this was reported to police.

An officer told East Tyrone Magistrates Court a force-wide search was conducted for Shortt and this included a media alert. The officer was aware the defendant’s case was due to be mentioned at a recent sitting, and observed him enter the court building. Shortt was arrested for breach of bail and held in the cells until his case was called. Once in the dock, a defence solicitor said the Sisters of Mercy had declined to have him back.

District Judge Bernie Kelly remanded Shortt in custody to appear by video-link on September 30.

An officer told East Tyrone Magistrates Court a force-wide search was conducted for Shortt and this included a media alert.