16 tonnes of wood pellets catch fire at Cookstown garage

Fire & Rescue Service
Fire & Rescue Service

Fire crews were called out twice over the weekend to deal with a deep-seated fire at a Churchtown garage.

A Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson told the Mail they were first called to the scene in the early hours of Friday morning after a report that 16 tonnes of wood pellets and a wood burner had caught fire in a shed on Drumgrass Road.

“Using a mechanical digger the pellets were removed to the open and the fire dealt with,” they explained.

While they were first on the scene from 3.51am on October 21 until, 7.27am crews had to return again at 8.15pm on Sunday, October 23 “to deal with wood pellets (still) smouldering from previous ignition”.

The fire is being treated as accidental.