Dungannon Youth Club fire started in toilet bin

Dungannon Youth Resource Centre
Dungannon Youth Resource Centre

POLICE say those responsible for starting a fire at a youth club in Dungannon had a “complete disregard” for their own safety and the safety of others using the facility.

Firefighters were called to the scene of the incident at Dungannon Youth Resource Centre on Savings Bank Street shortly after 8.30pm on Tuesday last, May 13.

The fire started in a bin in the toilets of the youth club, according to a spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS), who added the blaze is believed to have been deliberate.

A spokesperson for local police praised fire crews for their actions in attending the scene of the incident.

The PSNI spokesperson also appealed for witnesses to come forward and assist with their investigation into the fire.

“Whoever did this had a complete disregard for their own safety or that of their friends attending the youth club”, continued the PSNI representative.

“Hopefully witnesses will come forward and help us identify the offender.”