Carlos double can’t save Dungannon Rovers

Dungannon Rovers 2

Hill Street 3

Dungannon Rovers lost by the odd goal in five in this enthralling encounter at Drumcoo Playing Fields on Saturday.

Straight from the start the Rovers could have been a goal behind when after taking the kick off they lost possession near the half way line and Hill Street went clean through only for Mickey Hand to make a great stop.

The Rovers quickly regrouped and scored on 15 minutes when from a Hill Street corner the Dungannon men quickly broke with Kyle Patterson feeding Filipe Cabral who passed it onto Carlos Alexandre who made no mistake with a quickly taken shot from 18 yards. The Rovers were looking comfortable but Hill Street got a simple goal back on 30 minutes after a mistake in the Rovers defence leaving an open goal and they made no mistake.

The rest of the half went to and fro with neither side having any clear cut chances. Hill Street started the quicker of the two teams in the 2nd half and Hand had to be alert again to make another one-on-one save. Hill Street took the lead on 65 minutes when from a short corner the ball was crossed in for the Hill Street centre back to score a free header at the back post.

On 70 minutes the Rovers nearly got a goal back when Garry Maguire met a corner at the back post to head it back to Carlos who took a shot that was well saved by the keeper. With 75 minutes gone the equaliser did come when Garry Maguire fed Carlos from inside the Hill Street half and Carlos took another couple of strides before unleashing a fantastic dipping shot over the keepers head and into the back of the net.

On 80 minutes the Rovers should have taken the lead when Patterson fed Filipe who was clean through but then Filipe and Carlos got in each others road and the great chance was wasted.

Hill Street got the winner with five minutes to go when from a loopy cross the ball went over the Rovers defence’s heads to the back post for another Hill Street header. Hill Street saw out the rest of the game for the win.

Dungannon Rovers Reserves lost 4-2 with the goals coming from Tommy Cardwell and Dale Shaw.

Next up for the Firsts is a crunch match away to Riverdale with the Reserves at home to Lurgan United Reserves.