IRISH LEAGUE: Dungannon Swifts score six in rout against Portadown

David Armstrong celebrates his goal in Dungannon Swifts' 6-0 defeat of Portadown. Pic by PressEye Ltd.
David Armstrong celebrates his goal in Dungannon Swifts' 6-0 defeat of Portadown. Pic by PressEye Ltd.

Dungannon Swifts’ commanding team display was rewarded with six goals and three points at Stangmore Park on an afternoon to forget for struggling Portadown.

Markethill-born Douglas Wilson was at the heart of the Swifts’ first-half end product as set-piece strength left the hosts in control by 2-0 at the break within the 6-0 win.

Wilson’s father, Donny, is a former Ports player but family ties offered little consolation to the away side on 14 minutes when his curling free-kick nestled inside the left-hand post of goalkeeper Chris McGaughey.

The Swifts proved comfortable in possession against a Portadown side struggling for form - with Niall Henderson’s speculative shot from distance, two half-chances for Ken Oman and a drive over the bar by Eoin Kirwan the sum total of the visitors’ threat.

Wilson was involved in the Swifts’ second when, on 24 minutes, his curling free-kick delivery towards the back post was headed home by the unmarked David Armstrong.

The Swifts cemented the points with two goals inside three quickfire second-half minutes.

The first, on 51 minutes, killed off the Ports’ hopes of salvaging the match as Alan Teggart and Jamie Glackin linked up along the left before picking out Cormac Burke for the forward to control and convert inside the penalty area.

It was 4-0 to the slick Swifts moments later thanks to Andrew Mitchell’s teasing cross which Terry Fitzpatrick raced in to convert on the run.

A talking point arrived with the introduction of Peter McMahon across the closing stages for his Swifts debut. McMahon signed for the Dungannon club as a free agent following a controversial closing period at Shamrock Park.

The winger was presented with a sight of goal but opted to pass across the box, with Alan Byrne sliding in to block the threat.

Oman then raced back late on to stop Mitchell from finding the net. However, the resultant corner-kick was delivered into the danger area by Glackin and Chris Hegarty powered home his header.

Mitchell’s afternoon was capped by the final boost for the Swifts and final insult for the Ports as he raced down the right, cut inside and slotted past McGaughey.

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Andy Coleman, Chris Hegarty, Douglas Wilson, David Armstrong, Terry Fitzpatrick, Jamie Glackin, Andrew Mitchell, Alan Teggart, Jarlath O’Rourke, Andrew Burns, Cormac Burke. Subs: Kris Lowe (on for Burns, 72), Stuart Addis, Ruiri McDonald (on for Wilson, 83), Rhyss Campbell, Peter McMahon (on for Fitzpatrick, 76).

PORTADOWN: Chris McGaughey, Mark Carson, Keith O’Hara, Alan Byrne, Ken Oman, Niall Henderson, Robert Garrett, Matthew Parker, Stephen Hughes, Aaron Haire, Adam Rodgers. Subs: Conor Larkin, Eoin Kirwan (on for Rodgers, 46), Sam Simpson, Matthew Rooney (on for Haire, 74), Mikey Withers (on for O’Hara, 59).

Referee: Tim Marshall.