GAA: Derrylaughan advance with victory over Aghyaran

Derrylaughan's Colm O'Hagan was in fine form on Sunday night
Derrylaughan's Colm O'Hagan was in fine form on Sunday night

Derrylaughan 0-15 Aghyaran 1-6-

Derrylaughan progressed to an Intermediate quarter-final meeting with Galbally thanks to a comfortable victory over Aghyaran in Dunmoyle on Sunday evening.

The Kevin Barrys laid the foundations for the victory in the opening half leading 0-7 to 0-5 at the break despite playing into a strong wind.

Derrylaughan’s composure in front of goal was key, especially in the opening 30 minutes.

Three Shea Coney frees and a Brendan Quinn point then early in the second half were crucial scores for the Barrys as they opened up a six point gap.

Aghyaran were given a lifeline with ten minutes to go when Ronan McHugh netted a penalty but Derrylaughan finished well Conor Kelly and Tomas Carney both pointing to help seal the win.

Despite playing into a strong wind Derrylaughan dominated the opening half controlling the play from deep and taking their chances when they presented themselves.

Aghyaran corner forward Ronan McHugh opened the scoring in the opening minute of the game with a straight forward free.

The Barrys responded however with Ciaran Quinn hitting the equaliser almost straight away, taking on his man and shooting into a strong wind.

In the eighth minute of the game Darragh Carney put Derrylaughan into the lead with a well struck free kick as the rain began to ease.

Brendan Quinn was the next man on target the loughshore men as he shot over a couple of minutes later.

Derrylaughan were controlling possession and carrying well into the breeze as Aghyaran struggled to break down a well organised Barrys defence.

Ronan McHugh added a free for the St Davogs but that was cancelled out almost automatically as Carney added his second free.

Aghyaran hit two points in three minutes including an effort from distance to get back on terms at 0-4 each before Derrylaughan hit three more scores forge into the lead.

Ciaran Gervin hit a fine solo effort from play before Darragh Carney added a free for the Barrys.

The second half saw Derrylaughan start much the better with Shea Coney proving his value as a substitute kicking three points in as many minutes to start the half.

Coney then set up Brendan Quinn for a score but McHugh cancelled that out with a point from a free.

Ciaran Quinn got a point for the Barrys as they kept themselves in control, but got a score when a foul on Paddy McNulty allowed McHugh to net from the penalty spot.

The Barrys finished well with Conor Kelly, Tomas Carney and Sean Robinson making the game safe for the loughshore men.