GAA: Derrytresk upset Pomeroy to advance to last eight

Caolan Corr seals the win with a second Derrytresk goal
Caolan Corr seals the win with a second Derrytresk goal

Derrytresk 2-7 Pomeroy 0-9

Derrytresk upset the odds with a fully merited win over a fancied Pomeroy side at windswept Pearse Park in Galbally in the Intermediate championship on Sunday.

Two second half goals proved to be the decisive scores and on the day the Plunketts can have no complaints.

Pomeroy's Aidan Cunningham shakes off the challenge of Derrytresk's Niall Gavin. INTT2315-701DCA

Pomeroy's Aidan Cunningham shakes off the challenge of Derrytresk's Niall Gavin. INTT2315-701DCA

It was Pomeroy who made the better start and after Hugh McNamee had opened their account Frank Burns doubled their advantage with a brilliant effort with the outside of his boot.

Aidan Gavin opened Derrytresk’s account in the 9th minute but almost immediately Burns landed another fine score.

Niall Gavin had a Derrytresk point from a free but by the end of the opening quarter the Plunketts were deservedly 0-4 to 0-2 in front after a well taken Kieran McGeary score.

Caolan Corr then reduced the deficit and moments later the same player sent over the equaliser as Derrytresk fought back. Christopher Colhoun and an outstanding point from Ryan Loughran put Pomeroy two in front.

Derrytresk had the final say of the first half and it should have been a goal with Ronan O’Neill blasting over the bar from only a couple of yards out when it seemed easier to find the net as Pomeroy led 0-6 to 0-5.

The second half was only two minutes old when Derrytresk struck for their first goal when Niall Gavin played the ball to Aidan Gavin and he finished well past keeper John McCourt despite being off balance as he kicked the ball.

Pomeroy missed a few chances in a third quarter where they failed to register before midfielder John Loughran got them a much needed point.

Derrytresk though kept their composure with full forward Niall Gavin landing a brilliant forty five metre free off the ground into the wind. With eighth minutes left to lay Pomeroy were dealt a blow when Aidan Woods was straight red carded by referee Stephen Campbell after the Stewartstown official had consulted with his linesman.

Joe McKee then landed a well struck 45 to leave three between the sides but back came Pomeroy through a Burns twenty metre free. Derrytresk were then reduced to fourteen men when corner forward Sean Slater picked up a second booking to set up a tense finish.

Just before that they had also lost midfielder Conor Starrs to a black card as well but with three minutes to go it was game over.

A Pomeroy attack broke down and Derrytresk had three men over and the ball was played to Caolan Corr who ran through before coolly slotting the ball low to the bottom left hand corner of the net past keeper McCourt.

Kieran McGeary knocked over a Pomeroy free but time was against them and it was a goal that they needed to keep their championship ambitions alive.

Derrytresk though defended as though their lives depended on it and after the three allotted minutes of injury time the final whistle sounded as they confirmed their place in the last eight.