GAA: Teenager Brennan helps Trillick knock Dungannon out

Dungannon's David Walsh and Trillick's Lee Brennan contend for the breaking ball.
Dungannon's David Walsh and Trillick's Lee Brennan contend for the breaking ball.

Trillick 3-16 Dungannon 1-9 -

A virtuoso scoring display from Lee Brennan saw Trillick soundly defeat Dungannon in the championship at Killyclogher on Saturday evening.

The teenager notched 1-10, and was simply unplayable as Trillick earned retribution against the Clarkes after last years Intermediate championship final encounter between the two sides that saw Dungannon claim the Paddy Cullen Cup.

Trillick started brighter, Brennan getting things underway with two frees, as Daire Martin had to be at his best to deny a Trillick goal in the opening minutes.

Patrick Molloy got Dungannon off the mark with a free of his own before Brennan was again on target, selling a couple of dummies to neatly ship over for a score.

The game was being played at a flying pace with plenty of intensity, with last years meeting very much in the minds of the Trillick players.

Dungannon then moved ahead, with Patrick Quinn scoring from play off his right and Matthew Walsh adding two frees. Brennan was turning on the style at the other end however, and he tagged on a classy swerving point before finishing a move after good work from Richard Donnelly. Donnelly then added another, scoring from distance despite being off balance.

Clarkes forward Kiefer Morgan tapped over an easy free, that was then followed up by Trillick points from Matthew Donnelly and Daniel McDonnell.

Just before halftime, however, Trillick struck for their first goal, as Brennan laid on the pass for McDonnell to finish low to the net.

Brennan and Sean Anthony Burns traded points as referee Fergal ward blew for halftime with Trillick six points to the good.

Trillick were aided with the breeze in the second half, and Richard Donnelly put them seven ahead with his second point.

Dungannon needed something big to get back into the tie, and they were denied a certain goal after Padraig McNulty left a series of defenders in his wake to break free and fire a shot on goal, only to find it heroically blocked on the line by retreating Trillick fullback Ruairi Kelly.

Minutes later though the Clarkes got their reward as Patrick Quinn took advantage of a sloppy free kick to brilliantly plant the ball in the corner of the net, despite having his jersey held back. Subsitiute Lorcan Mallon added another point for Clarkes in this period

Trillick however responded in great fashion, with Brennan again expertly landing a 45 before Mathew Donnelly added to his tally.

The two players then combined brilliantly to break at pace at the Dungannon defence, with Brennan finishing the move with a fine goal after selling a few dummies.

Dungannon were beginning to tire from Trillick overlapping runs and direct style of play, and this wasn’t helped when Gary Molloy was given his marching orders after several cautions.

Brennan moved his total to 1-9 with two frees his kicking from the ground faultless. Dungannon had no answer to the Tyrone under 21s skill and movement.

Both he and Matthew Donnelly were playing with ease at this stage, and they were both involved again forMattie to add his third of the evening.

Patrick Quinn smartly turned and fired over a point for Dungannon, and Lorcan Mallon was also on target.

Trillick halfback Rory Brennan then got in on the act, direct running again allowing him to come through and crash the ball to the roof of the net.

Lee Brennan then capped off a remarkable display with his final point from a free, as Trillick ran out comfortable thirteen point winners.

They go on to take on Greencastle in the next round, while Dungannon will have to regroup and focus on the remainder of the league, in which their next opponents are Coalisland.