Quinn repels Moy for overdue Donaghmore win

The Moy's Eunan Deeney breaks with the ball under pressure from Donaghmore's Deasun Quinn.INTT2315-425
The Moy's Eunan Deeney breaks with the ball under pressure from Donaghmore's Deasun Quinn.INTT2315-425

A Deasun Quinn point in the sixth minute of injury time gave Donaghmore a first championship victory since 2008, the gritty St.Patricks defeating a valiant Tir na nOgs side by a single point.

Quinn’s free sealed a hard-fought win for the St Patrick’s, although Moy will feel a little hard done by - having equalised in the fourth minute of injury time.

Having signalled there would be at least four minutes, referee Brian McCallion played another two, allow Sean Marty Lockhart’s men the opportunity to win their first game of the season.

Donaghmore got the best possible start to the game when, in the third minute, Deasun Quinn’s shot across goal was turned into the net by Peter McKenna.

The Moy hit right back with Sean Cavangh, Tommy Conlon all on target leaving the sides level once again after six minutes.

The sides were very evenly matched and the game reflected that, as they exchanged score again Daniel Toner and Sean Cavanagh each scoring for their sides.

By the 20th minute the St Patrick’s had opened a three point lead, as Deasun Quinn, scored from free and play, before Niall McKenna who had been involved in a number of his sides early scores got his first of the day.

Conall Duffy kept the Tir na nOg in touch but Donaghmore replied almost immediately, Peter McKenna and Aidan McCluskey combining for McKenna to add a point to his earlier goal.

Niall McKenna then added a fisted point from play to leave Donaghmore seemingly in charge heading towards the interval.

Mark Jordan’s side hit three points in as many minutes as the half went into injury time firstly through a Sean Cavanagh free and then from his brother Colm and corner back Tommy Conlon, who kicked his second of the day.

Donaghmore struck again before half time, however, with Niall McKenna fisting an effort from close range to give his side a two point lead.

The first ten minutes of the second half were nervy from both sides as they struggled to readjust.

Donaghmore Mark Hetherington fired a fine point between the posts with the outside of his right foot to extend the St Patrick’s lead to three.

Moy got themselves right back on terms a couple of minutes later as Niall Conlon pushed forward to feed Conall Duffy. Duffy’s shot took a big deflection clipping the crossbar on the way into the net, giving Simon Toner in the Donaghmore goal no chance.

It was nip and tuck for the remainder of the game as the sides exchanged points, neither ever getting more than one clear.

Niall McKenna made a stunning catch to supply Hetherington with his second point of the game but Niall Conlon cancelled that score out.

Peter McKenna and Sean Cavanagh exchanged scores for their sides as first Anthony Rafferty for Moy and then Donaghmore’s Sean McCaul saw red cards.

Points for Deasun Quinn and Philip Donnelly were equalised by Conal Duffy and an injury time Sean Cavanagh free, as the game looked destined for a replay.

But Shea Hamill was fouled 30metres from the Moy goal and Quinn made no mistake to set up a date with Coalisland.