TYRONE IFC: Derrylaughan shock Moy despite red card

Derrylaughan's Ciaran Quinn hit 1-02 in the Intermediate Championship win over Moy.
Derrylaughan's Ciaran Quinn hit 1-02 in the Intermediate Championship win over Moy.

Derrylaughan 2-12, Moy 0-15

Fourteen man Derrylaughan continued a weekend of championship upsets at O’Neill Park on Sunday evening when edging out Moy in a fiercely contested Intermediate first round joust.

The Barry’s looked in trouble when they lost Declan Brady to a straight red card after only 26 minutes but they rolled up their sleeves and produced one of their best displays of the season to carve out a merited three point success to secure a quarter-final meeting with Cookstown.

Harry Loughran and Sean Cavanagh nudged Moy into a two point lead before Derrylaughan responded with a Liam Gervin point on four minutes.

A second Cavanagh free signalled a spirited response from Barry’s as Tomás Carney, Ciaran Quinn and Ciaran Gervin hoisted over points for a first time lead on 12 minutes.

Peter Mallon restored parity but Derrylaughan remained on the offensive and on 19 minutes, Paul Donnelly gathered Liam Gervin’s sublime delivery to fire to the net for a 1-4 to 0-4 advantage.

Mallon and Cavanagh hit points either side of a second Carney 45 and following some heated exchanges referee Eamon McHugh red carded Brady when he easily could have dismissed several others.

Fergal McAliskey and an audacious Gervin strike moved Derrylaughan four clear until an injury time Mallon minor trimmed the deficit to 1-7 to 0-8 at half time.

Six minutes into the second half defender Mark Robinson extended the Derrylaughan lead but with Cavanagh now operating around midfield Moy battled back with two Loughran points inside a minute.

Carney nailed a free and then, on 40 minutes, Ciaran Quinn guided a Carney delivery to the net for a 2-9 to 0-10 cushion. Derrylaughan never looked back.

Declan Conroy, Mallon and Cavanagh traded points with Carney, Quinn and Ciaran Gervin who registered the score of the night on 59 minutes but an alarming wides count was to haunt Moy as Derrylaughan prevailed.


Moy – Peter Mallon 0-6, Sean Cavanagh 0-4, Harry Loughran 0-4, Declan Conroy 0-1

Derrylaughan – Ciaran Quinn 1-2, Tomás Carney 0-4, Paul Donnelly 1-0, Liam Gervin 0-2, Ciaran Gervin 0-2, Fergal McAliskey 0-1, Mark Robinson 0-1

Referee – Eamon McHugh, Aghyaran