TYRONE IFC: Derrytresk dig deep to earn Stewartstown replay

COOL HEAD . . . Derrytresk's Niall Gavin hit an injury time penalty.  INTT3211-184JS
COOL HEAD . . . Derrytresk's Niall Gavin hit an injury time penalty. INTT3211-184JS

Stewartstown 1-11, Derrytresk 2-08

Derrytresk demonstrated the character and spirit that is required in championship football as they came from five points down two minutes into injury time to earn a replay with Stewartstown.

There was little between the sides early on with Anton Coyle, Dan Lowe, Aidan

Gavin and Liam Slater among the points for their respective sides. In the 22nsd minute Shay O’Neill fielded a high ball before firing to the Derrytresk net and James Lowe added a point immediately afterwards. Derrytresk had the final say of the half through Liam Slater but they trailed 1-4 to 0-4.

Stewartstown dominated the early exchanges in the second half with Dan Lowe,Macaulay Quinn, Coyle and Cathal Devlin all providing points as they moved seven clear. There appeared to be only one winner at that stage but Derrytresk had other ideas. Slater, Niall Gavin and Conor Gavin all had points to leave only three between the sides. Substitute James Kelly got a much needed Stewartstown score before Coyle scored again to leave five between the sides with two minutes of injury time played. A surging forty metre run from Padraig Bell saw him win a free and with the Stewartstown players napping Derrytresk substitute Mickey Rea hammered the ball to the net.

Stewartstown full back Dylan McElhatton pointed to put three between the sides and the Harps looked to have won it. Derrytresk though still believed and when Padraig Bell was fouled inside the box Niall Gavin was the coolest player in Edendork as he stepped up to fire into the bottom right hand corner of the net with what proved to be the last kick of the game.

Stewartstown: Anton Coyle 0-4, Shay O’Neill 1-0, Dan Lowe 0-2, Dylan McElhatton 0-1, James Lowe 0-1, Macaulay Quinn 0-1, Cathal Devlin 0-1, James Kelly 0-1

Derrytresk: Niall Gavin 1-1, Liam Slater 0-3, Aidan Gavin 0-3, Mickey Rea 1-0, Conor Gavin 0-1

Referee: Mickey McCann, Beragh