TYRONE IFC: Wins for Pomeroy, Eskra and Derrylaughan

Justin McCafferty hit 0-2 as Pomeroy defeated Gortin in the Intermediate Championship.
Justin McCafferty hit 0-2 as Pomeroy defeated Gortin in the Intermediate Championship.

Pomeroy 0-15, Gortin 0-6

In spite of difficult weather conditions at Edendork on Sunday, Pomeroy justified their favourites tag as they produced a controlled display against Gortin to make it through to a semi-final clash with Eskra.

Frank Burns, Kieran McGeary, Ollie McCreesh and Denver Nugent all made significant contributions as the Plunketts won by nine points. Early scores from John Loughran, Kieran McGeary and Martin McKeever put Mark Harte’s side well on top.

Gortin were in danger of being brushed aside but responded positively. Two points from the hard working Ruairi Keenan and one from Chris McClean had the sides level by the 16th minute.

With Frank Burns in fine form, Pomeroy were soon five ahead before Eoghain McGarvey added two pointed frees to close the gap to just three at the break.

Both teams struggled for scores in the second half with Gortin’s Peter Keenan and Ciaran Mc Geary the only scorers before Pomeroy finished strongly to win 0-15 to 0-6.

Pomeroy scorers: Frank Burns 0-4, Kieran McGeary 0-3, John Loughran 0-2, Justin McCaffrey 0-2, Kieran McKenna 0-1,Ryan Loughran 0-1, Kevin Armstrong 0-1, Martin McKeever 0-1.

Gortin scorers: Eoghain McGarvey 0-2, Ruairi Keenan 0-2, Chris McClean 0-1, Peter Keenan 0-1.

Derrylaughan win comfortably

Derrylaughan 3-13, Cookstown 0-9

Derrylaughan marched through to the last four of the Intermediate championship when they produced a superb display at Pearse Park in Galbally to comfortably see off the challenge of Cookstown.

Only three points separated the two sides at the break but when the Kevin Barry’s got an early second half goal, the writing was on the wall for Cookstown.

Barry Potter opened the scoring for Cookstown but that was the only time they would lead during the entire game. Ciaran and Liam Gervin had Derrylaughan points before Paul Donnelly got their first goal after 12 minutes. John Gilmore and Raymond Mulgrew exchanged points with Fergal McAliskey and Liam Gervin to leave it 1-5 to 0-5 at half-time.

In the first attack of the second half, McAliskey pointed again before the winners got their second goal in the second minute when Ciaran Quinn finished in style, low to the net, past keeper Donavan McGuckin.

Christopher Eastwood and Martin Murray had Cookstown points with McAliskey and Tomas Carney responding for Derrylaughan.

Substitute James McGahan knocked over a Cookstown free with Potter getting his second point of the contest but it was only damage limitation at that stage.

With two minutes to go Quinn got a third goal for the Loughshore men to put the icing on the cake. Martin Hughes was straight red carded for Cookstown while Derrylaughan lost Michael McCuskey to a second yellow card in injury time but by that stage they were already well on their way to the last four where they will face the winner of the replay between Aghaloo and Moortown.

Derrylaughan scorers: Ciaran Quinn 2-0, Fergal McAliskey 0-5, Paul Donnelly 1-0, Ciaran Gervin 0-2, Tomas Carney 0-2, Liam Gervin 0-2, Caolan Hughes 0-2

Cookstown scorers: Barry Potter 0-2, John Gilmore 0-2, Martin Murray 0-1, Conor Mullan 0-1, Raymond Mulgrew 0-1, Christopher Eastwood 0-1, James McGahan 0-1.

Eskra ease through to semi-finals

Stewartstown 1-5, Eskra 1-12

Eskra advanced to a Tyrone Intermediate semi-final meeting with Pomeroy at Dungannon on Sunday afternoon, when they swept aside the challenge of Stewartstown.

In truth, the final score flattered the Harps, who never showed up as Eskra bossed all facets of play from start to finish.

The Emmett’s kicked four wides until a monstrous Peter Hughes strike broke the deadlock on 12 minutes before a foul on Ryan Gartland allowed the impressive Hughes to double that advantage.

Stewartstown were struggling as Paul Turbitt punished a stray clearance and, after Turbitt and Hughes augmented their respective tallies, Eskra pounced for a 26th minute major.

Niall Marlow and Cormac Arkinson combined to tee up Gartland for a deft finish and a 1-5 to no score cushion.

Anton Coyle finally opened the Harps account but Eskra’s dominance was illustrated when wing-back Johnny Hackett gathered the resulting kick out and meandered through to hoist over a delightful score for a decisive eight point interval lead.

Coyle had an early second half point disallowed after the intervention of the linesman but it didn’t matter as Eskra exerted pressure. Arkinson blazed a goal chance over on 36 minutes with Gartland and sub Joe McCarroll extending the lead 1-9 to 0-1.

The winners lost the services of Peter Hughes to a red card on 46 minutes (yellow followed by black) before Stewartstown staged a rally to put a hint of respectability on the scoreboard.

Dan Lowe, who was kept under wraps by the industrious Niall McGinn, knocked over a free with Tiernan Rush and Paul Dillon supplying points either side of a pair of McCarroll frees.

McCarroll added two further frees in response to an Owen Coyle point before a miserable afternoon for Stewartstown ended when sub Niall Dillon was straight red carded by referee Michael Connolly in injury time.

There was still time for sub Ronan O’Neill to poach a goal that reduced the deficit to seven points but Eskra were never seriously tested as they clinched a place in the last four.

Eskra scorers: Ryan Gartland 1-1, Joe McCarroll 0-4, Peter Hughes 0-3, Paul Turbitt 0-2, Cormac Arkinson 0-1, Johnny Hackett 0-1

Stewartstown scorers: Ronan O’Neill 1-0, Anton Coyle 0-1, Dan Lowe 0-1, Tiernan Rush 0-1, Paul Dillon 0-1, Owen Coyle 0-1

Referee: Michael Connolly (Aghyaran).

Aghaloo, Moortown must replay

Aghaloo 2-8, Moortown 1-11

Aghaloo and Moortown must do it all over again after a gripping Intermediate Championship quarter final finished all square at Pearse Park in Galbally on Saturday.

With just seven minutes of normal time left to play, Aghaloo looked set for the last four when they held a six point lead but Moortown refused to accept defeat as they battled back with Daniel Kelly landing the equaliser deep into injury time.

Jack McGuigan and Ryan Kelly gave Moortown an early two point lead but in the fifth minute, Aghaloo took the lead with a well taken Conor Mullen goal. Ruairi McGlone, Jody McGlone and defender Shea Loughran tagged on points but Moortown hit back through Jack McGuigan, Shane McKeown and Conan McLernon to only trail by the minimum at the break.

Peter Devlin levelled matters on the restart but Aghaloo responded with points from Mullan and Niall McElroy.

At the beginning of the final quarter, McElroy took a pass from Jody McGlone to finish low to the bottom right hand corner of the net and in the next attack Ruairi McGlone left it 2-7 to 0-7.

Moortown were in trouble but they didn’t panic with Conan McLernon knocking over two close frees before his brother Brian grabbed a superb goal to leave it game on again.

Conan McLernon levelled matters but as the game went into injury time a McElroy free put Aghaloo back in front. It looked like being the winning score until wing half-back Daniel Kelly pointed seven minutes into injury time. The replay takes place at Stewartstown on Wednesday night.

Aghaloo scorers: Niall McElroy 1-4, Conor Mullen 1-1, Shea Loughran 0-1, Jody McGlone 0-1, Ruairi McGlone 0-1

Moortown scorers: Conan McLernon 0-5, Brian McLernon 1-0, Jack McGuigan 0-2, Daniel Kelly 0-1, Ryan Kelly 0-1, Peter Devlin 0-1, Shane McKeown 0-1

Referee: Mark O’Neill (Cookstown).